Web Earth Online Forum Index Web Earth Online
User discussion and support forum for Web Earth Online, Home Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile Log inLog in 

I saved a baby robin...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Web Earth Online Forum Index -> Critter Cam and Animal News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maroon

Location: Hiding from the Scarecrow. o_< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: I saved a baby robin... Reply with quote

....And I'm not exactly sure how to take care of it. It fell out of the nest (Which was getting really small for four growing birds) and my dad and I put it in a shoebox with paper towel for a sort of floor. We also put in some grass so it would be like a nest. We were digging for worms earlier, but we only found a tiny one. I suggested we should by worms from the petstore, but is that safe? And I'm not sure how much I have to feed it every day. Oh, and how to I tell if its a boy or a girl...? I hate calling it by 'it'.

If you can answer at least one of my questions, I'd really appreciate it.

~Maroon
These pigs are after me, after you!~ ღ ♪
Quagga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly- this is illegal. Not that anyone here will likely report you, or even be able to, anyways... It's understandable that you want to help, but it is illegal to take, kill, sell, or attempt any of these on a native bird.
Although this is coming from the US, and I'm not 100% positive you are also here?

Secondly- what does it look like? Has it just hatched, eyes closed, etc.? Or does it have feathers, is able to hop around, perch on things, and so on? Cause a fledging bird typically leaves the nest, unable to fly, but is able to hop around. The parents are still around to watch it and care for it, and to teach it to fly.

And even if it isn't, I've heard that placing it in a mock nest, safely away, and the parents MIGHT still care for it. Of course, humans can't be around, though...

-To be honest, it would be best to give it up. I know that I'd want to help, and possibly even keep it for myself, but it's... also still illegal. If you're able to, you can try to put it back in the nest. Otherwise, giving it to a wildlife rehab. would work. Or... you can be a bit more "inhumane" - although I don't completely consider it so for various reasons, but I won't bother with them now - and place it back outside where it was. It's life; not every creature is going to make it. It's best to just leave it alone, as saddening as it may be. :c

Caring for a baby bird would be a lot of work, itself; it needs to be kept at a certain temperature, and fed a special diet, and that diet itself can change throughout the baby bird's life, as well as from breed to breed.

I'm not going to bash you for it, I understand you wanting to help. I personally insist that you try to put it back outside, or give it to a legalized rehab. But what you do, is what you do. And all I can do is offer you advice, my opinion of what is right, and wish you good luck.

Edit:
And are you sure it is a baby robin?
I know that there are a select few birds that are not protected by law, such as House Sparrows, and I think Starlings as well, due to them being a nonnative species. I'm not 100% sure that it is 100% legal to own them, but I haven't found anything stating that you may not. I've heard that, at least House Sparrows, can be destructive to other bird nests, and it is encouraged to somehow destroy their eggs - although when it comes to that, I'd insist you look it up, as there's other information that would be useful.

formspring
animalguy888

Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid of superman and Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: I saved a baby robin... Reply with quote

Maroon wrote:
....And I'm not exactly sure how to take care of it. It fell out of the nest (Which was getting really small for four growing birds) and my dad and I put it in a shoebox with paper towel for a sort of floor. We also put in some grass so it would be like a nest. We were digging for worms earlier, but we only found a tiny one. I suggested we should by worms from the petstore, but is that safe? And I'm not sure how much I have to feed it every day. Oh, and how to I tell if its a boy or a girl...? I hate calling it by 'it'.

If you can answer at least one of my questions, I'd really appreciate it.

~Maroon

How old is it? sometimes the parents will feed them from the ground if they are almost ready to fly. Just a few weeks ago we had a birds nest on our back porch.(thats what my avatar is) next thing we know we have babby birds scattered in the backyard. the parent birds then went and found each one and kept feeding them. The next day they took off on their own as young adults.

Though if they are newborns that might not be the case. We have a house sparrow named peep. He was raised from an injured helpless hatchling baby bird at 24 hours old. We found out advise on peep through someone on youtube with experince and a male house sparrow named spoggy from new zeland. They told us about a site were people with rescued birds like you and me can get advice. Its through that website we found out what to feed peep when he was a baby.

Nature is closer than you think...

http://www.formspring.me/animalguy888
LunaWolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is he? If he's covered in feathers, he's a fledgling, and you should put him back where you found him. They will jump from the nest before they're fully ready to fly, it's a natural part of their development. They'll still get fed by their parents until they can fly.
If he's got few or no feathers it's best to find a rehabber. You can find one if you go to the fish and game website for your state. (That's how it is here, anyway.)

For your questions, you can feed him worms from the pet store. Mealworms, earthworms (you can get cups of them sold as live bait from stores.), bits of berries like raspberries and blueberries, and some parrot hand-raising formula is probably the best thing to feed him. If a fledgling, feed every hour. If a baby, feed every half hour. Only feed him if he's gaping for you, don't try to force food or water.
It's next to impossible to tell gender at that age, unfortunately.
Quagga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read on two sites that you can make a small, fake nest, even by using a basket, and if you place it close to the original, the parents may continue to care for the baby. Assuming it's too young to leave, that is. Otherwise, if it's old enough, it'll possibly just hop out again.

formspring
LunaWolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. You can also secure something like a raspberry crate or a cool-whip container to the tree.
Maroon

Location: Hiding from the Scarecrow. o_< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quagga wrote:
Firstly- this is illegal. Not that anyone here will likely report you, or even be able to, anyways... It's understandable that you want to help, but it is illegal to take, kill, sell, or attempt any of these on a native bird.
Although this is coming from the US, and I'm not 100% positive you are also here?

Secondly- what does it look like? Has it just hatched, eyes closed, etc.? Or does it have feathers, is able to hop around, perch on things, and so on? Cause a fledging bird typically leaves the nest, unable to fly, but is able to hop around. The parents are still around to watch it and care for it, and to teach it to fly.

And even if it isn't, I've heard that placing it in a mock nest, safely away, and the parents MIGHT still care for it. Of course, humans can't be around, though...

-To be honest, it would be best to give it up. I know that I'd want to help, and possibly even keep it for myself, but it's... also still illegal. If you're able to, you can try to put it back in the nest. Otherwise, giving it to a wildlife rehab. would work. Or... you can be a bit more "inhumane" - although I don't completely consider it so for various reasons, but I won't bother with them now - and place it back outside where it was. It's life; not every creature is going to make it. It's best to just leave it alone, as saddening as it may be. :c

Caring for a baby bird would be a lot of work, itself; it needs to be kept at a certain temperature, and fed a special diet, and that diet itself can change throughout the baby bird's life, as well as from breed to breed.

I'm not going to bash you for it, I understand you wanting to help. I personally insist that you try to put it back outside, or give it to a legalized rehab. But what you do, is what you do. And all I can do is offer you advice, my opinion of what is right, and wish you good luck.

Edit:
And are you sure it is a baby robin?
I know that there are a select few birds that are not protected by law, such as House Sparrows, and I think Starlings as well, due to them being a nonnative species. I'm not 100% sure that it is 100% legal to own them, but I haven't found anything stating that you may not. I've heard that, at least House Sparrows, can be destructive to other bird nests, and it is encouraged to somehow destroy their eggs - although when it comes to that, I'd insist you look it up, as there's other information that would be useful.
It has its eyes open, and feathers. I'm guessing it is a fledgling. We decided to put him outside in the shoebox, right under the nest. I'm really hoping that the mother and father will come and help him.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. <3
Quagga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I read one way to figure it out was to see if the bird could perch on anything, like your finger. If it could, it's a fledgling.

Hope all goes well. ^-^
... Did you get any pictures? :P

formspring
Maroon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a couple of pictures :3
Darkmoon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show meh!! oh an if you ever truely need to dig for worms, its best at night and the wetter the better. them things are FAST though Razz

Still I got a feild idetifcation guide for songbirds :3 i want to see what kind Smile

moon-blade-dragons.deviantart.com
animalguy888

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkmoon wrote:
Show meh!! oh an if you ever truely need to dig for worms, its best at night and the wetter the better. them things are FAST though Razz

Still I got a feild idetifcation guide for songbirds :3 i want to see what kind Smile

actualy not the best idea.. worms can carry desiese and theres a recipe for baby bird food....

http://www.starlingtalk.com/babycare.htm

this is the site I was talking about... I site were newcomers can get advise on taking care of resued baby birds. This is the main reason peep is alive because we had no clue how to raise him. With the help of this info as well as info from youtubes spoggy the sparrow he made it and this is his second year in life.

Zelda0909

Location: Sitting in a tree thinking of something clever to say.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

animalguy888 wrote:
Darkmoon wrote:

actualy not the best idea.. worms can carry desiese and theres a recipe for baby bird food....

this is the site I was talking about... I site were newcomers can get advise on taking care of resued baby birds. This is the main reason peep is alive because we had no clue how to raise him. With the help of this info as well as info from youtubes spoggy the sparrow he made it and this is his second year in life.

do you keep Peep as a pet? That would be cool... anyway i think its great your trying to rescue this bird but I would just try to put him/her back in its nest. if it falls again its eiether old eangh or the parents dont want it.

animalguy888

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zelda0909 wrote:
animalguy888 wrote:
Darkmoon wrote:

do you keep Peep as a pet? That would be cool... anyway i think its great your trying to rescue this bird but I would just try to put him/her back in its nest. if it falls again its eiether old eangh or the parents dont want it.

yes our peep is a pet house sparrow. Only for these reasons. reason 1: he is crippled from the fall out of our old unused satalite dish in the backyard. The tow that is supposed to grip branches points backwards poking him in the chest because of this he is often unbalenced. reason 2: he was basicly a newborn when he came to us so will not have the skills needed to survive. It might have been fine wtih two or more survivers with him because the would copy eachother nautral behaviar but peep is the only one that came to us. He came without sibbiling survivers.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Web Earth Online Forum Index -> Critter Cam and Animal News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: