Web Earth Online Forum Index Web Earth Online
User discussion and support forum for Web Earth Online, Home Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile Log inLog in 

Sharks- A misunderstanding?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Web Earth Online Forum Index -> Critter Cam and Animal News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omega Ridley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Sharks- A misunderstanding? Reply with quote

Most believe sharks are man eaters, inculding the Great White. But remember; a shark has rarely attacked people. You are most like to get killed by a coconut than a shark!

Also, sharks bite because they are confused. It's like a dog nibbling your finger. They want to know what it is, so they bite the human.

But people don't know this: sharks may be our most important creature. If the sharks go extinct, so does everything else!
A great white attacks cause a surfer may look like q seal.

I learned this from Oceans Wild.

Last edited by Omega Ridley on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kenya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharks- A misunderstanding? Reply with quote

Omega Ridley wrote:
But remember; a shark has never killed a person!

Um yes... sharks kill numerous people a year. I do see where you're coming from though, but please remember not everything you read on the internet is correct. (;
Sharks are definitely amazing creatures though. ^^
animalguy888

Location: In the sky hunting for a hybrid of superman and Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very true. The movie JAWS helped entice that fear and basicly kickstarted the idea of the vicios maneating shark. In fact my uncle once sent me pictures he found of a 20 foot great white that swam under a conoe. The shark just passed by undneath him and he did not even notice. I bet he only noticed when the picture was released. Another man I saw picture of befriended a wild 18 foot female great white. This thing acually swam up to his small boat everytime she saw him and let the man pet her nose! Like this topic says sharks are a lot more than what some people assume them to be. I actually do not fear sharks. My image of the best day ever is befrending dangerous animals like sharks and getting within petting distance and experince the magnificince of the animals we give a bad reptuation to.

P.S shark attacks do happen but not as much as the big number thats going into your head right now. The most feared shark of all the great white has less attacks than the tiger sharks. Yet I believe tiger sharks are part of shark finning but im not sure but I do know a lot of sharks are. Shark finning is what makes shark fin soup etc. they take a living shark slice its fins off to be prossesed than throw the living body in the water to drown or bleed to death.

Nature is closer than you think...

http://www.formspring.me/animalguy888

Last edited by animalguy888 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChrysalisWolfHero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. If there's blood, if it's the right type of shark (sharks that are more aggressive) and definitely if the creature looks like any prey it knows, it will bite it. Very Happy That's why most (MOST) sharks will take one bite, and leave. They dun like our boniness. XD (I think that's what they don't like)

But, like you said, they are very important organisms. I don't know about 'everything else going extinct' but our ecosystem would certainly suffer.
Kenya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrysalisWolfHero wrote:
If there's blood, if it's the right type of shark (sharks that are more aggressive) and definitely if the creature looks like any prey it knows, it will bite it. Very Happy That's why most (MOST) sharks will take one bite, and leave. They dun like our boniness. XD (I think that's what they don't like).

Just like to point out, most of the time when a shark bites its because it is testing. Since they don't have fingers or hands to feel anything they use their mouth. Sometimes, when they do bite they use enough force to break bones, rip flesh, ect.
Basically all types of sharks are attracted to blood, since they all need to eat. x3
I have heard sharks don't prefer us due to how salty our blood is, though when your hungry anything will satisfy you. xD
ChrysalisWolfHero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenya wrote:
ChrysalisWolfHero wrote:
If there's blood, if it's the right type of shark (sharks that are more aggressive) and definitely if the creature looks like any prey it knows, it will bite it. Very Happy That's why most (MOST) sharks will take one bite, and leave. They dun like our boniness. XD (I think that's what they don't like).

Just like to point out, most of the time when a shark bites its because it is testing. Since they don't have fingers or hands to feel anything they use their mouth. Sometimes, when they do bite they use enough force to break bones, rip flesh, ect.
Basically all types of sharks are attracted to blood, since they all need to eat. x3
I have heard sharks don't prefer us due to how salty our blood is, though when your hungry anything will satisfy you. xD

Oh yeah! I learned that the shark's 'taste' buds are actually on its teeth, which could explain how they don't like our salinity. And you have a point with that last statement.
Zelda0909

Location: Sitting in a tree thinking of something clever to say.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

animalguy888 wrote:
This is very true. The movie JAWS helped entice that fear and basicly kickstarted the idea of the vicios maneating shark. In fact my uncle once sent me pictures he found of a 20 foot great white that swam under a conoe. The shark just passed by undneath him and he did not even notice. I bet he only noticed when the picture was released. Another man I saw picture of befriended a wild 18 foot female great white. This thing acually swam up to his small boat everytime she saw him and let the man pet her nose! Like this topic says sharks are a lot more than what some people assume them to be. I actually do not fear sharks. My image of the best day ever is befrending dangerous animals like sharks and getting within petting distance and experince the magnificince of the animals we give a bad reptuation to.

P.S shark attacks do happen but not as much as the big number thats going into your head right now. The most feared shark of all the great white has less attacks than the tiger sharks. Yet I believe tiger sharks are part of shark finning but im not sure but I do know a lot of sharks are. Shark finning is what makes shark fin soup etc. they take a living shark slice its fins off to be prossesed than throw the living body in the water to drown or bleed to death.
WHAT! couldnt they kill the animal first? doesnt that count as animal cruelty somehow?

animalguy888

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zelda0909 wrote:
animalguy888 wrote:

WHAT! couldnt they kill the animal first? doesnt that count as animal cruelty somehow?

In america were I live probbly in other countrys so far its not illegel. In my oppinion it should be an internatinal law not to. In Canada they Also club live seals when the hunt them. So both the predator and the prey have become victums. I kind feel bad for the seals and sharks though.

LunaWolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharks are one of my favorite animals. I want to see one in person so badly.
Thankfully there's a lot more awareness about shark finning than there was before, and I've heard a couple of places have even banned it. Hopefully others follow suit, especially considering the way their populations have been dropping.
Zelda0909

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

animalguy888 wrote:
Zelda0909 wrote:
animalguy888 wrote:

In america were I live probbly in other countrys so far its not illegel. In my oppinion it should be an internatinal law not to. In Canada they Also club live seals when the hunt them. So both the predator and the prey have become victums. I kind feel bad for the seals and sharks though.
A new thing I learned about my country. O-O Thats wierd how much I dont know about my country yet i live here XD. well whats the diffrence takeing gills from a liveing animal then takeing them from a dead one. nothing i bet. they just are cruel and want to watch the poor shark die! >3>

Quagga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. Maybe it's a bit more expensive? Time consuming... Fresh.
Not that I'm encouraging it, but I'm saying reasons why they might.

formspring
animalguy888

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quagga wrote:
Well. Maybe it's a bit more expensive? Time consuming... Fresh.
Not that I'm encouraging it, but I'm saying reasons why they might.

Either way hunting is always going to be time consuming and also somewhat expensive. Fresh? I do not thinks so. It does not have to be riped apart when its living to be fresh meat. Its not like the meat is going to be over a month old after you humainly kill it. Theres no real reason for it to be done that way. Imagane your a shark. Your cruising along looking for any new food sources to check out later when your suddenly brought aboard a boat. you can not breath and are gasping for breath. Then somone cuts off your limbs and throws you aside to leave you to bleed to death or drown. basicly thats what their doing. Theres nothing wrong with finding a different way to do it, or better yet not do it at all.

Quagga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

animalguy888 wrote:
Either way hunting is always going to be time consuming and also somewhat expensive. Fresh? I do not thinks so. It does not have to be riped apart when its living to be fresh meat. Its not like the meat is going to be over a month old after you humainly kill it. Theres no real reason for it to be done that way. Imagane your a shark. Your cruising along looking for any new food sources to check out later when your suddenly brought aboard a boat. you can not breath and are gasping for breath. Then somone cuts off your limbs and throws you aside to leave you to bleed to death or drown. basicly thats what their doing. Theres nothing wrong with finding a different way to do it, or better yet not do it at all.

Freshness can play a part in it, because, what's fresher than having it straight from a living animal? But it's likely not a primary reason.

After a bit of research, my conclusion is simple; the people are lazy, and they're doing it for money. It's a very well-paying business, especially for some shark breeds, and the time wasted to have to kill the shark, although it may be short, can still be seen as a waste of money. That and, the assumption that the shark will die anyways, so there's no reason for them to kill it and waste their time if it's already guaranteed dead.

And again, it's not that I'm protecting them.

formspring
Zelda0909

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharks dont try to kill peaple but they do. Well sometimes they do if they think your a seal or a turtle (Inner tube Razz) or something from its diet.

LunaWolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the picture that was mentioned earlier, it's pretty awesome. This is the photographer's site. http://www.thomaspeschak.com/kayak-great-white-sharks-/ Where the picture originally came from.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Web Earth Online Forum Index -> Critter Cam and Animal News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: