Web Earth Online Forum Index Web Earth Online
User discussion and support forum for Web Earth Online, Home Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile Log inLog in 

We're on the Brink of the Sixth Extinction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Web Earth Online Forum Index -> Critter Cam and Animal News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webearthonline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: We're on the Brink of the Sixth Extinction Reply with quote

In the news:

"We're on the Brink of the Sixth Extinction
Wednesday, March 30, 2011

We're on the brink of the next great mass extinction--in fact, we're right in the middle of it.. Past extinction events have wiped out 75% of the animal species on the Earth within a short period of time, and it's still going on, and many Chinese medicines are partly responsible for this, since they use body parts, like rhino horn, from some endangered species.

Mass extinctions have occurred 5 times in the past 540 million years, and the last one occurred 65 million years ago when the dinosaurs were wiped out. If this timetable continues, the next great extinction (the sixth one) will happen during the next 300 to 2,000 years. Will we be among the next animals to disappear?

And it's not just animals, it's plants, and if plants disappear, it won't be long before we follow, because loss of plant biodiversity disrupts the fundamental services that ecosystems provide to humanity. Plant communities--threatened by development, invasive species, climate change, and other factors--provide humans with food, help purify water supplies, generate oxygen, and supply raw materials for building, clothing, paper, and other products--in other words, the basis for human civilization. In LiveScience.com, Stephanie Pappas quotes paleontologist Anthony Barnosky as saying, "Everyone knows that we now lose many species a year. The question is, 'Is the pace of extinction we're seeing today over these short time intervals usual or unusual?'"

She quotes paleontologist David Jablonski as saying, "If the fossil record tells us one thing, it's that when we kick over into a mass extinction regime, results are extreme, they're irreversible and they're unpredictable. Factors that promote success and survival during normal times seem to melt away."

We know the dinosaur age was ended by an asteroid, but we're not sure what caused the other 4 extinctions. However, we DO know what's causing this one: human beings. This means that we still have some time to stop it. Pappas quotes biologist Elizabeth Ferrer as saying, "It's bittersweet, because we're showing that we have this crisis. But we still have time to fix this."

In a final note, Pappas quotes ecologist Jarrett Byrnes as saying, "Species extinction is happening now, and it's happening quickly. And unfortunately, our resources are limited. This means we're going to have to prioritize our conservation efforts, and to do that, scientists have to start providing concrete answers about the numbers and types of species that are needed to sustain human life. If we don't produce these estimates quickly, then we risk crossing a threshold that we can't come back from.""

Døøm Dragøn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it very fitting that humanity will cause their own destruction. We helped make it happen after all...maybe 2012 is real...
Lysander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last thing i can resort on... Eating air.

-Starts gasping-

Delicousssssss....

-Has a sence of inpending doom.-

Appearantly, the Ozone Hole in the Artic is natural, Ecologists see me rollin' dey hatin.
SilentEcho

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's just GREAT.
Arma

Location: Looking at you through my window... *Quickly ducks down as you look over your shoulder*

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might all be very worried..
But..
I bet you don't give bird waste that it'le happen in 300 years
But if it where to happen in 30 days? Our species would start acting like crazy.

In truth, This is what Humanity diserves, And if it does happen we can't blame anyone but ourselves. We cannot blame our luck, we cannot blame our peers, in fact, we cannot blame even the laws of nature. The only thing we can blame is humanity and what it has done to this buetiful planet.

I bet the REAL best thing to do was kill every human on earth. Now THAT would fix all the future problems, now wouldn't it?

Maybe we should hope that if there is another extinction it IS on humans, We're the species that's been causing it all anyway.

Now I'm starting to think the terrorist attack was actually all propelled by a giant warren of squirells Wink

Location: Sitting in a tree thinking of something clever to say.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarikas wrote:
But..
But if it where to happen in 30 days? Our species would start acting like crazy.

In truth, This is what Humanity diserves, And if it does happen we can't blame anyone but ourselves. We cannot blame our luck, we cannot blame our peers, in fact, we cannot blame even the laws of nature. The only thing we can blame is humanity and what it has done to this buetiful planet.

I bet the REAL best thing to do was kill every human on earth. Now THAT would fix all the future problems, now wouldn't it?

Maybe we should hope that if there is another extinction it IS on humans, We're the species that's been causing it all anyway.

Now I'm starting to think the terrorist attack was actually all propelled by a giant warren of squirells Wink

i don wanna die Sad

SilentEcho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarikas wrote:
But..

You're being a bit overreactive Scar -3-
Alexander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilentEcho wrote:
Scarikas wrote:
But..

I agree. Just because we as a human race are at fault, it doesn't mean it was on purpose and nor does it mean every human should die. With every mistake there is something we can do to fix, even if it isn't a permanent one, not to say whether or not we can 100% fix this problem we have caused.

It was not intentional and we've only begun to understand truly how harmful this is to our Earth, and now it's time to fix it. If you haven't noticed, there are many people figuring out how to fix things.

Kenya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please remember to not turn this into a "humans are bad, save the animals" kind of topic; thanks!
SouthernStar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, if humans were extinct cows would go loose and go eat everything, we control the chicken population, the cow population, the pig population, the rat/mouse population-ish, and the bunny population :)

(bunnies are very destructive indeed ._. )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AquaStar wrote:
Anyway, if humans were extinct cows would go loose and go eat everything, we control the chicken population, the cow population, the pig population, the rat/mouse population-ish, and the bunny population Smile

(bunnies are very destructive indeed ._. )

Hmm.. and yet I doubt these animals would survive if we didn't.. if anything we may have one of the most biggest advantages out of the whole population on Earth.
Starley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarikas wrote:
But..

Now,now Scar.Humans have a right to live on earth just like any other animal.

I am...Victorious!
Flower fox in game
SilentEcho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think about it, poachers, deforestation and 'unscrupulous companies' are probably the main factors of animal extinctions.Aqua's right. Cows live pretty much everywhere, if they were let loose they'd eat EVERYTHING then die out.And if there's no food, every other animal will die out.That'd start an extinction quickly...Nobody's there to shoot them.
Arma

Location: Looking at you through my window... *Quickly ducks down as you look over your shoulder*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilentEcho wrote:
Scarikas wrote:
But..

Please try to imagine me as saying it calmly. There's not a single esclamation mark.

Location: Sitting in a tree thinking of something clever to say.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarikas wrote:
SilentEcho wrote:
Scarikas wrote:
But..

Please try to imagine me as saying it calmly. There's not a single esclamation mark.

i still find the idea scary Sad

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Web Earth Online Forum Index -> Critter Cam and Animal News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: