Web Earth Online Forum Index Web Earth Online
User discussion and support forum for Web Earth Online, Home Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile Log inLog in 

Extinction news
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Web Earth Online Forum Index -> Critter Cam and Animal News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webearthonline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Extinction news Reply with quote

Extinction news

Extinction--of animals is in our future (and may be starting right now), and protecting biodiversity is more than an act of environmental preservation--it can be a matter of self-preservation, because the healthy biodiversity in intact ecosystems helps ward off infectious disease. Biologist Drew Harvell says, "As buffering species disappear, rates of disease spread can accelerate. More broadly, biodiversity per se seems to protect organisms, including humans, from transmission of infectious diseases in many cases. Preserving biodiversity in these cases, and perhaps generally, may reduce the incidence of established pathogens."

In a diverse ecosystem, often only a fraction of organisms are susceptible to particular diseases or parasites, and the presence of buffering species means the spread of a malady is muted. One example is Lyme Disease, which can be transmitted to humans by ticks carried by white-footed mice. In intact communities with opossums, the ticks attack opossums, but they fail to survive on opossums, thus reducing the transmission rate of Lyme Disease. The ticks also jump onto deer and when we stopped hunting them (and killed off their predators), deer proliferated and made their way into suburbia, causing large outbreaks of Lyme disease in the human populations there.

Harvell says, "This discovery of the buffering effect is most clear on land where we know all the links in the transmission of some diseases. In the oceans, we are dealing with a vast new equation relating to disease spread, climate change and biodiversity. Disease outbreaks are being accelerated by climate warming before we even know the links in the disease transmission chain."

Døøm Dragøn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure if I want to go anywhere near a deer now.
Alrai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"This we know:
All things are connected like the blood that unites us.
We did not weave the web of life, we are merely a strand in it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves".

-- Chief Seattle

Never knew how opossums in particular were helpful to humans. Nor how deer could effect us either.
Arma

Location: Looking at you through my window... *Quickly ducks down as you look over your shoulder*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Hugs cat*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had 16+ ticks (yes i have counted how many i have had over the years). i never got lyme disease. Cool and extinction always upset me. especially when its because of us. what right do we have to kill a whole species of animal?
wildchild

Location: Right behind you and your in my way! Could you please move? Move please! MOVE MOVE MOOOOVE!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence to any of u lot but humans just get more and more stupid and destructive by the minute and it angers me so much. We have evolved from something much more intelligent than we are if you think about it, yes they didnt have all our fancy technology and stuff, but they knew how to look after there planet, they knew about the balance of the world and somewhere along evolution that instinct and knowledge has either been lost or has been blocked out and now not only the world but animals are being destroyed to, sorry if this upsets or annoys anyone but i just had to say it.

I LOVE TWILIGHT!!!!

Niamh, my Fursona!
SilentEcho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't know it was a planet.If it weren't for technology, nobody would even know about this happening.(well, scientists)
wildchild

Location: Right behind you and your in my way! Could you please move? Move please! MOVE MOVE MOOOOVE!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wernt for Technology then alot of this wouldnt be happening, and yes they didnt know it was a planet but that didnt make them kill it

I LOVE TWILIGHT!!!!

Niamh, my Fursona!
Arma

Location: Looking at you through my window... *Quickly ducks down as you look over your shoulder*

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ANY human in the world had a chance to betray everything and everyone, They probrably would in seconds. Humans are selfish and I wish we could do something about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting but sad article WEO.

Just a reminder to not turn this topic into a "humans are bad, save the animals" type of topic.
webearthonline

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find it interesting how the WEB of life really works. We don't always see the connections to the WEB of life until it is too late (for example extinction is too late). Removing any life from the web of life has an impact to others in the web.
SilentEcho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If humans knew this would happen, I doub't they wouldn't done it.

Keep in mind that everything goes extinct at one point, dinosaurs and megafauna would be stomping on us.
Lysander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exinction? It makes me sad just to say it Sad

Also OMG! (This isn't animals but its nature xD) This HUMONGOUS Typhoon is heading to Queensland in the southern tip, its hitting in about 2 or 3 days, I hope no Ozzy animals get hurt for Australia is my place of Origin Sad Anyway ring anyone in Queensland you know and scream to the phone "CYCLONE!" -Hang up-

Currently the Typhoon has no name but id call it Hurricane DOOM AND DESTRUCTION. I warn you this Typhoon is massive, MASSIVE! There are some precious animals in Australia and i hope they dont get hurt Sad.

Lady

Location: In chocolate chip cookie land, crying tears of joy as my favorite cookies fall into my hands. c:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just makes me want to get a gun and shoot deer more. And hug the opossum that nearly killed all our chickens.

If you dislike something.. eat it. ~My idiotic brain
Is Blade (ID: 44687) Ingame.
Lysander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady wrote:
This just makes me want to get a gun and shoot deer more. And hug the opossum that nearly killed all our chickens.

Humans should let Wolves roam more; They eat deer.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Web Earth Online Forum Index -> Critter Cam and Animal News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: