Web Earth Online Forum Index Web Earth Online
User discussion and support forum for Web Earth Online, Home Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile Log inLog in 

Birds falling out of the sky?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Web Earth Online Forum Index -> Critter Cam and Animal News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webearthonline

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Birds falling out of the sky? Reply with quote

Recent news on birds falling out of the sky ...

============================================

"First it was redwinged blackbirds falling out of the sky--in two places in the US and also in Sweden. Then it was thousands of dead fish. Now it's doves: A thousand of them have dropped out of the sky in Italy, all with blue stains on their beaks. Officials says the blue tint indicates hypoxia, which is a lack of oxygen that can confuse animals.

In the January 7th edition of the Telegraph, Nick Pisa quotes a local Italian newspaper as saying, "Let's hope it is poisoning or an illness because that would be easier to deal with than it being a sign the world is coming to an end."
"

============================================

"UPDATE: Two million fish died in Chesapeake Bay on December 6. There have now been diebacks reported of birds and fish from the US, New Zealand, Sweden and the United Kingdom. The mystery started when thousands of red-winged blackbirds and starlings were found lying on the ground in a one-mile area in Beebe, a town about 40 miles from Little Rock. In addition to the bird deaths, there was a fish kill in the Arkansas River involving a hundred thousand Drum Fish, a kill of at least 40,000 crabs in England, and hundreds of Snapper Fish in New Zealand.

It is believed that most of the diebacks have been caused by weather-related stress, hypothermia and starvation. Why birds would suddenly drop out of the sky, however, remains a mystery. CNN quotes ornithologist Karen Rowe as saying, "It's important to understand that a sick bird can't fly. So whatever happened to these birds happened very quickly. Something must have caused these birds to flush out of the trees at night, where they're normally just roosting and staying in the treetops, and then something got them out of the air and caused their death and then they fell to earth."

Rowe says the incident is not that unusual and is often caused by a lightning strike or high-altitude hail, and a strong storm system had moved through the state earlier in the day. The loud booms of fireworks may have also had something to do with the bird deaths. CNN quotes Rowe as saying, "Initial examinations of a few of the dead birds showed trauma. Whether or not this trauma was from the force of hitting the ground when they fell or from something that contacted them in the air, we don't know."
300 miles to the south, in Louisiana, power lines are being blamed for killing 450 birds. Is there a connection between the 3 US bird kills? MSNBC quotes veterinarian Jim LaCour as saying, "I haven't found anything to link the two at this point." And 50-100 jackdaws fell out of the sky in central Sweden. MSNBC quotes Police officer Tomas Ahlgren as saying, "We do not know what the cause is.""

Darkmoon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh thats horrible! i heard of the fish and blackbirds in maybe Arkansas and it was suspected they died of extreme stress from the fireworks in the area at midnight new year's.

moon-blade-dragons.deviantart.com
Alexander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's rather awkward.

It reminds me of my mom's work. They have these windows that make it so that birds get confused. They see another bird (themselves) and so they get all raged and try to attack it. They swoop down and hit against the glass, either knocking them out or killing them.

A guy in my mom's work's soul job is to pick up these birds. It happens daily and freaked out my mom the first time she heard a bird knock into the window. xD When she opened the blinds, feathers were flying everywhere with no sign of the bird.

Starley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwww poor fish and birds Sad

I am...Victorious!
Flower fox in game
Rain Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DONT WANT THE WORLD TO END D:

Aww i feel bad now.

I love wolves! And now im not afraid to show it <3
Kenya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my. I heard about this a while ago, and now it's really getting serious. Doves, black birds, fish....it's a shame that so many animals are dying!
I really hope this can be fixed and stopped ebfore more aniamls start to die.
Ragdoll07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY - Owait, nope, just a bird.

Please Click!<3
dolphin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sob:cry:. i love animals of all kinds and it just breaks my heart when stuff like this happens especially if it is because of inconsiderate people. i just hate watching the planet die a little more and more every day and going to shammbles. Sad
Ragdoll07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope this doesn't mean we're running out of oxygen, because then I'll die D;

Please Click!<3
SouthernStar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want ragdoll to die D: so I have created the most advanced solution ever made xD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Sorry but I just found this and it fits so perfectly. XD

"Did you read the News? 4000 dead birds dropped from the sky. Looks like Chuck Norris plays Angry Birds too."

Kenya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/01/110106-birds-falling-from-sky-bird-deaths-arkansas-science/

A link to another article about this incident. They're saying it happens all the time but only recently has the media noticed.
dolphin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its probably because of all the pollution in the air that they cant process enough oxygen from the air.
Døøm Dragøn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read about this in the newspaper a while back. Yes, its very horrible. It might be known as the Horrible Something Massacre in black bird history.
Rain Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah oxygen must exist further if not

* Tries to breth*

* No oxygen *

* Sufficates *

* Gasp *

I love wolves! And now im not afraid to show it <3
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Web Earth Online Forum Index -> Critter Cam and Animal News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: