Web Earth Online Forum Index Web Earth Online
User discussion and support forum for Web Earth Online, Home Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile Log inLog in 

Animal News - Bee update
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Web Earth Online Forum Index -> Critter Cam and Animal News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webearthonline

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Animal News - Bee update Reply with quote

Again this year we are seeing tons of dead and dieing honey bees on our driveway and sidewalk. I counted about 30 the other day.

Here is an update on the problem of colony collapse disorder:

New Clue Found to Disappearing Honey Bees

Tuesday , August 25, 2009

WASHINGTON —

Researchers have a new clue to the collapse of honey bee colonies across the U.S. — damage to the bees' internal "factories" that produce proteins.

Theories about the cause of bee colony collapse have included viruses, mites, pesticides and fungi.

The new study of sick bees disclosed fragments of ribosomal RNA in their gut, an indication of damage to the ribosomes, which make proteins necessary for life, according to a study in Tuesday's issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

RNA, which is made from DNA, is central to protein production.

The sick bees suffered an unusually high number of infections with viruses that attack the ribosome, the researchers from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the U.S. Department of Agriculture reported.

"If your ribosome is compromised, then you can't respond to pesticides, you can't respond to fungal infections or bacteria or inadequate nutrition because the ribosome is central to the survival of any organism. You need proteins to survive," May R. Berenbaum, head of the department of entomology at Illinois, said in a statement.

The researchers said the varroa mite, which was accidentally introduced to the U.S. in 1986, is a carrier of picorna-like viruses that damage the ribosomes.

The mite may act as a tipping factor leading to ribosome breakdown, the researchers said.

The study was funded by the Department of Agriculture.

Vargen Saphia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, this the one of the reasons, to why the two bee colonies have colapsed and why all of them was dead/ couldn't move.
But a strange thing with that, was that it's only a few bees that were laying on the ground when I saw them. No other bees were flying, the bees was only laying dead on the ground. Confused The other ones have probably died inside the nest ( this was the species of bees that had their nest under the ground).
But why was it only a few above the ground ( I was there rigth as they died, I saw it, some flyed, but only two, and they soon died.).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor bees...did you know honey is really sweet bee barf?! Mad
Lady

Location: In chocolate chip cookie land, crying tears of joy as my favorite cookies fall into my hands. c:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats not true... They get it from pollen and mix it into honey. Never heard of bee barf being included.

If you dislike something.. eat it. ~My idiotic brain
Is Blade (ID: 44687) Ingame.
Døøm Dragøn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the way they make honey is that they eat the necter and get a house fly/bee to stick their tough into their mouth so they barf it up to make the necter more stable and mix it will the pollen or they eat both the necter and pollen to mix it together. Confused
Lady

Location: In chocolate chip cookie land, crying tears of joy as my favorite cookies fall into my hands. c:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acually, the pollen sticks to the bees, something like they have pockets. then they bring it in the nest where they make it into honey, then feed it to their kids so the process can start all over again.

ChrysalisWolfHero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady wrote:
acually, the pollen sticks to the bees, something like they have pockets. then they bring it in the nest where they make it into honey, then feed it to their kids so the process can start all over again.

Yes Lady's right.
Raptor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our bees are doing nicely. Up to three hives and we haven't touched them in close to five years.
Døøm Dragøn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady wrote:

The pollen sticks to their legs. To make honey for the larva they barf the nector then mix it with the pollen then feed it to the larva in the honey combs. I stick to my reasons why.
webearthonline

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This from http://ask.yahoo.com/20021203.html

Bees do not create honey; they are actually improving upon a plant product, nectar. The honey we eat is nectar that bees have repeatedly regurgitated and dehydrated.

A bee colony or hive consists of one queen bee, hundreds of drones, and thousands of busy worker bees -- sterile females who gather pollen, produce beeswax, build honeycombs, and make the honey that feeds the other bees. The honeybee uses her tubular tongue to suck nectar from the flower into her abdominal honey sack (the bee's second stomach or "honey stomach"). In the sack, complex plant sugars in the nectar begin to break down into simpler, more digestible sugars. When the sack is full, the bee returns to the hive to offload droplets of nectar to another food-processing worker bee. That bee will distribute it to the young or place it into the honeycomb for long-term storage.

Døøm Dragøn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webearthonline wrote:

Bees do not create honey; they are actually improving upon a plant product, nectar. The honey we eat is nectar that bees have repeatedly regurgitated and dehydrated.

Haha! Lady and others! I was right about the regurgiting part or its called barf! Shocked
Vargen Saphia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other types of Bees.
But the type that is in trouble is the honey Bee.
Here is something which tells exactly what the impact of the Honey Bee is.

Pollination – The Bees Second Shift

In addition to gathering nectar to produce honey, honey bees perform another vital function; pollination of agricultural crops, home gardens, orchards and wildlife habitat. As bees travel from blossom to blossom in search of nectar, they transfer pollen from plant to plant, thus fertilizing the plants and enabling them to bear fruit.

Almonds, apples, avocados, blueberries, cantaloupes, cherries, cranberries, cucumbers, sunflowers, watermelon and many other crops all rely on honey bees for pollination. The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that about one-third of the human diet is derived from insect-pollinated plants and that the honey bee is responsible for 80 percent of this pollination.

A 2000 Cornell University study concluded that the direct value of honey bee pollination to U.S. agriculture is more than $14.6 billion.

Source:
http://www.ebeehoney.com/Pollination.html

Vanishing Bees;22 States Report Insects Disappearing In Huge Numbers...
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/27/business/27bees.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its sad how much humans have done to this once peaceful place...
Raptor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomDragon wrote:
Its sad how much humans have done to this once peaceful place...

It wasn't the humans that are causing the bee problems. It says right in the first post, a mite did.

Big difference.
Lady

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomDragon wrote:
webearthonline wrote:

Haha! Lady and others! I was right about the regurgiting part or its called barf! Shocked

That kinda makes us both right. the bees take the pollen and make it into honey. And i didn't know that they made it with bees barfing XD

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Web Earth Online Forum Index -> Critter Cam and Animal News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: