Web Earth Online Forum Index Web Earth Online
User discussion and support forum for Web Earth Online, Home Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile Log inLog in 

Worried about Blaze. Help? D: ('racism' toward other dogs)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Web Earth Online Forum Index -> Critter Cam and Animal News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrysalisWolfHero

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Worried about Blaze. Help? D: ('racism' toward other dogs) Reply with quote

As many of you know, I have a lovely pit bull dog named Blaze, soon to be 4. If he was ever to be put up for adoption (God forbid I ever have to leave him!) his info would say 'good with kids 5 and up, good with dogs.'

But there's a problem. As funny or weird as this will sound, it's serious, and I'm scared for Blaze, and the other dogs.

Yes, Blaze is good with most dogs. Sounds normal, right? Well, Blaze seems to be racist against boxers and great danes. I'm not kidding! Let me explain!

Today at the dog park, two whippets were annoying him. He did his usual routine. He just ignored them until one of them started nipping at him, and finally Blaze turned around, growled and aimed a quick bite at his face, and trotted away. (yeah, pit bulls are sooooo evil)

However, a lady's boxer came running up to Blaze to sniff him, and the he started growling and snarling! He and the boxer tussled for a couple seconds before Blaze held her by her chest, putting most of his weight on top of her. But, even though he wasn't tearing her up, this was NOT his friendly playing. His tail wasn't even wagging!

So I tugged him by his collar, he let go of the boxer (who was unhurt, maybe a bit shocked) and leashed him. He behaved politely but warily around the other dogs, and it was only when the boxer and her siblings (there were a couple other boxers too) when the fur on his back would rise up and he would watch them carefully.

This has been going on for a while! Well, when he aggressively pinned down the female boxer ('attack' is probably too strong), that was the first time I've ever seen him do anything like that, but he has never really been fond of boxers or great danes.

I have an explanation for the great danes reason: when he was younger, probably almost 2, a clumsy great dane wanted to play with him. All was well until the great dane chased after Blaze, then tripped and basically trampled him! They rolled around and that was the first time Blaze ever growled at another dog.

I have NO idea why he doesn't like boxers!!!

SO! Long story short, Blaze is racist against boxers and great danes. ALL boxers and great danes (except small puppies)

Can ANYONE help me AT ALL? D:

EDIT: Sorry if this is in the wrong place!
Darkmoon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe early in his life he was tormented by a dane and boxer so now he harbors resentment. in other words yes your dog may be racsist :c

moon-blade-dragons.deviantart.com
ChrysalisWolfHero

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so weird though! He's such a good boy and he's alright with other dogs generally... I just hope I can help him somehow.
Darkmoon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe find some one willing, and put them both (your dog and a dane/boxer) in the same room. If they start fighting pull them apart and disapline sharply to your dog (if s/he starts it) eventually s/he should get the picture and learn that a dane/boxer = whatever..

that worked for my dog and toy dogs. anything small and is alive she's after Shocked

moon-blade-dragons.deviantart.com
Alexander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be too dangerous. When dogs fight, they fight hard and if you dare to touch them while they are fighting, they could snap at you, wearily or not.
What you need to do is figure out exactly who starts the fighting. I know I do watch a lot of Dog Whisperer shows, but his talent for dogs seem to work really well, so I'll go by his workings.

Maybe it is not racism. Maybe it is the other dog's energy instead. Most dogs are not treated to fit social lives with other dogs well. Most boxers and danes tend to be much larger and used for guardians. This behavior causes negative energy toward other dogs. I remember when Caesar brought in this very intense dog (it would attack any dog around) to his pack of dogs, and his dog pack grew wild. He claimed that his pack of dogs became very intense and insecure because that's all the pug felt.

I think you just have to help your dog settle things out with those dogs. I'm sure as a dog and being nipped at, it can get very annoying. I feel it has sparked something in him and now he needs to learn (as well) to stop what he is doing.

I'm already bad enough at explaining, however I think if you watch a few of his shows containing dog aggression against other dogs would help.

Well, that's my Dog Whisperer theory. Anyone against it will simply be ignored, so do not attempt.

ChrysalisWolfHero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander wrote:
That would be too dangerous. When dogs fight, they fight hard and if you dare to touch them while they are fighting, they could snap at you, wearily or not.
What you need to do is figure out exactly who starts the fighting. I know I do watch a lot of Dog Whisperer shows, but his talent for dogs seem to work really well, so I'll go by his workings.

Maybe it is not racism. Maybe it is the other dog's energy instead. Most dogs are not treated to fit social lives with other dogs well. Most boxers and danes tend to be much larger and used for guardians. This behavior causes negative energy toward other dogs. I remember when Caesar brought in this very intense dog (it would attack any dog around) to his pack of dogs, and his dog pack grew wild. He claimed that his pack of dogs became very intense and insecure because that's all the pug felt.

I think you just have to help your dog settle things out with those dogs. I'm sure as a dog and being nipped at, it can get very annoying. I feel it has sparked something in him and now he needs to learn (as well) to stop what he is doing.

I'm already bad enough at explaining, however I think if you watch a few of his shows containing dog aggression against other dogs would help.

Well, that's my Dog Whisperer theory. Anyone against it will simply be ignored, so do not attempt.

The weird thing, though, is that it wasn't a 'fight to kill' like most dogfights you hear about. o_O He did bite her, yes, but it looked like a bite to hold, on her chest near her shoulder, and he pinned her down. I know it was dangerous to pull him off, but a bite from my dog (who was in a relatively calm situation and has never been abused) to me, is worth either of them getting hurt. Plus (and I'm not saying this made a huge difference) I spoke softly but firmly, so he knew I was behind him, then tugged sharply (but not yanked) his collar. I held his face close to mine and said 'No' angrily, which always helps to calm him down. He behaved well, but we didn't let him off his leash.

It's kind of both dogs. I mean, the boxer was innocent, but she probably irked him (which brings up my question: he gets annoyed much quicker by boxers and danes than by any other dog), so he nipped at her. She rose up to his challenge (literally. Blaze had reared up when he nipped her) and that's when they tussled. And yes, I was considering a sort of test or Dog Whisperer thingy, but I wouldn't even know where to start besides just watching.

That may be true, but it's strange to me that he's bothered more by these dogs now than he was as a puppy. (before the dane tripped over him)

Yes, I desperately want to help him with this, he's a really good dog (even around most other dogs) and he puts up with a LOT of bothering. It's just darn something about boxers and great danes that gets him annoyed much more easily, and dangerously.

Thank you for your tips and theory, I appreciate it.
Zelda0909

Location: Sitting in a tree thinking of something clever to say.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe your dog finds a simularity between great danes and boxers somehow? I dunno maybe he was bullied as a pup?

Coats

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitbulls, stating the obvious here, don't have the best history with other dogs. They were bred for fighting and winning for years. Normally, they can be overwhelmed easily and result in violence because of it. The dogs yours felt threatened by was obviously due to the size and stature of the breeds. Boxers and Great Danes have both size and muscle when it comes down to it, even still when compared with a pitbull. Your dog plays fine with small, weaker dogs because it has no problem being more dominant and feeling no threat. When it comes to the bigger ones, there are problems, correct? It is mostly due to the fact of instinct. Instinct says you are bred to attack and defeat dogs of your size or bigger normally, not usually something like a whippet for example.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coats wrote:
Pitbulls, stating the obvious here, don't have the best history with other dogs. They were bred for fighting and winning for years. Normally, they can be overwhelmed easily and result in violence because of it. The dogs yours felt threatened by was obviously due to the size and stature of the breeds. Boxers and Great Danes have both size and muscle when it comes down to it, even still when compared with a pitbull. Your dog plays fine with small, weaker dogs because it has no problem being more dominant and feeling no threat. When it comes to the bigger ones, there are problems, correct? It is mostly due to the fact of instinct. Instinct says you are bred to attack and defeat dogs of your size or bigger normally, not usually something like a whippet for example.

Well, they're terriers. Ratters. They were fighting because they're BUILT to win. And no, I doubt that's it. Blaze has some nice muscle build, but he's one of the taller, more lanky types. He'll get along great with dogs such as greyhounds (tall like great danes) and mastiffs (don't think I need to say anything there. XD) it's just the boxers and great danes he has a problem with. (even with bigger dogs, minus those two, if Blaze annoys them and gets nipped at a bit, he'll just kinda stand to the side and turn his face away, standing still until the other dog stops reprimanding him)

My parents' co-worker and friend just got a female boxer, though. So I'm going to do what my bud Ktanaqui on magistream suggested and do 'walk-bys' whenever we can meet up. (technique used on 'It's me or the dog' and 'the dog whisperer'.
Alexander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you just have to carefully watch your posture and your dog. I think I remember Caesar saying 'a back-eared dog is a good dog' or something.
A few reminders are to make sure your arms are down and that you don't hold the leash tightly.
It's great to see you're working on helping him through his troubles, though. Hopefully he'll overcome it soon. (:

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Web Earth Online Forum Index -> Critter Cam and Animal News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: